Congratulations to our Year 11 pupils receiving their GCSE results.
Over 40% have achieved A/A* grades and a considerable number collecting ten or more A/A*'s.
We are proud that every pupil has left Thornhill with a GCSE qualification.
The progress levels for both English and Mathematics have increased substantially. All this is due to the hardwork of pupils and all staff, and to the tremendous support from parents.
We wish all of our Year 11 of 2014 every success in the future.
Provisional GCSE (and Equivalent) Results 2014
School expects a number of the figures published below to increase as remark requests are returned from examination boards.
- 100% of pupils achieved GCSE qualifications in 2014.
- A fantastic 41% of our pupils achieved the highest A* and A GCSE grades in 2014.
- In English and mathematics pupils matched or made above national progress with 65% achieving A*-C in English and 64% achieving A*-C in mathematics.
- Our Ofsted Value Added figure (this is by far the best measure with which to compare schools’ performances) is 1006.5. This is well above national average and places Thornhill in the top five secondary schools in Sunderland LA.
- Unlike many secondary schools Thornhill maintained its 5 or more A*-C including English and mathematics performance this year with an impressive 53% of our pupils achieving this important milestone. Another Thornhill measure which is above the Sunderland average.
- Thornhill is celebrating its third year of improving English Baccalaureate success with 21% of pupils achieving this overarching qualification.
- Pupil premium pupils significantly improved their performances in English and mathematics this year. The additional resource for this group has been deployed to good effect.